Anwar Hossain Filmography as DOP with the following films of director Tanvir Mokammel: ( 1984- 2009) + Others
- "HOOLIYA" (WANTED) / 28 minutes/16mm./B&W/1984/ an experimental film based on a political poem by poet
- "NADIR NAM MODHUMATI" (THE RIVER NAMED MODHUMATI) 130 minutes/ 16mm./ colour/ 1995/ feature film/ a deconstruction of the Hamlet theme on the backdrop of the Bangladesh liberation war of 1971.
three Bangladesh national awards for best story, best dialogue and best song. Shown in Tri-Continental Film Festival, Nantes, France.
- "ACHIN PAKHI" (THE UNKNOWN BARD) / 60 minutes / Beta Cam / 1996/ a documentary on the life and musicology
of Fakir Lalon Shah, the doyen among the wandering sect of the folk-singers of rural Bengal known as the Bauls. Shot both in Bangladesh and in West Bengal of India.
Shown in Kathmandu and Sardinia, Italy, documentary film festivals
- "SWAPNAR SCHOOL’’ (A SCHOOL FOR SWAPNA) / 47 minutes/ Beta Cam/ 1996/ a documentary film about the alternative schools for the poor adults in Bangladesh and on the prospect of their education.
- "CHITRA NADIR
PARE" (QUIET FLOWS THE RIVER CHITRA) /114 minutes/ 16mm./ colour/ 1998/ a feature film on the destiny of a Hindu family in East Pakistan who refused to migrate from their homeland after the partition of India in 1947.
Received seven Bangladesh
national awards including the best film, best story, best script, best art direction and best director of the year. Shown in London, Oslo, Fribourg (Switzerland), Singapore, Delhi, Calcutta and Trivandrum film festivals.
- “IMAGES AND
IMPRESSIONS” / 46 minutes/ 1999/a documentary on the ideals of the Folk High Schools in Denmark.
- "LALSALU" (A TREE WITHOUT ROOTS) 110 minutes / 35mm. / 2001/ a feature film based on the novel LALSALU, perhaps the best novel
written on the rural Mulsim community by Syed Waliullah. The story centres around the life of a Mullah who established a false shrine in a remote village in Bangladesh.
Received eight Bangladesh national awards including the best film, best
script, best cinematography, best sound and best director. Jury's special mention, 1st International Film Festival, 2003, Dhaka and shown in London, Rotterdam, Montreal, Quebec, Cinenouvo (Belgium), Jeonju (South Korea), Fukuoka (Japan) Tronoto (Bongo Festival)
and Delhi International Film Festivals.
- "OIE JAMUNA" (A TALE OF THE JAMUNA RIVER) 60minutes/ Betacam/ 2002/ a documentary, a journey- film on the Jamuna river . The film-maker on a boat follows the mighty Jamuna all the way from where the
Jamuna enters into Bangladesh to
- Anwar –filmography 2
downstream where it confluences with the Padma, another major river of the Indian subcontinent. The film shows the condition of the Jamuna river and the people living
- "LALON" 35mm. / 2 hours 20 minutes / 2004/ a feature film on Lalon Fakir, a mystic song-composer of the 19th century steeped in Sufi tradition, Hindu Vaisnabism and Buddhist Tantrism and also a Guru among the Baul-Fakirs of
Bengal. Lalon composed few hundred songs with profound depth and excellent sense of music. The film depicts the life and persona of Lalon Fakir using the lyrics of his songs.
Shown in Fukuoka (Japan), London, Cleveland, competitive section
in Dhaka and in the of Goa (India) international film festivals and in Musée Guimet, France.
- "KARNAPHULIR KANNA" (TEARDROPS OF KARNAPHULI) 60 minutes/ Betacam/ 2005/ a documentary on the plight of the Chakma, Marma, Tripura, Mrung and
other indigenous people of the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
The documentary was banned by the government of Bangladesh. Shown in Kathmandu documentary film festivals and in Musée Guimet, France.
- "RIDERS TO THE SUNDERBANS"
(BONOJATRI) 60 minutes/ Betacam/ 2005/ a documentary/ a journey-film, in which the film-maker follows the odyssey of a group of fishermen's wives crossing the Sunderbans, the biggest mangrove jungle in the world. Through their journey the film unfolds the
present condition of the jungle and also the plight of the poor people living around it.
- "BOSTROBALIKARA: GARMENT GIRLS OF BANGLADESH" 60 minutes/ digital video/ 2007/ a documentary on the female garment workers of Bangladesh depicting
their lives, working condition and dreams.
Received the award of best documentary film of the year by Bangladesh Federation of Film Societies. Shown in Musée Guimet, France.
- "TAJUDDIN AHMAD: AN UNSUNG HERO" (NISSONGA
SARATHI)100 minutes/ digital video/ 2007/ a documentary about Tajuddin Ahmad, the first premier of Bangladesh, who in absence of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, successfully led the liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971.
Received the award
of best foreign language community documentary film by TVS television channel, Australia.
- "SWAPNAPHUMI" (THE PROMISED LAND) 90 minutes/ digital video/ 2007/ a documentary about the Urdu-speaking community of Bangladesh, popularly known as
Received the Award of second best documentary film by Film South Asia Film Festival, Nepal, 2009.
"RABEYA" (THE SISTER)/ 35mm. / 105 minutes/ a feature film/ a deconstruction of Sophocles's play Antigone on
the backdrop of the Bangladesh liberation war of 1971.
OTHER FILMS AS CINEMATOGRAPHER / Videographer by ANWAR HOSSAIN:
- Served as
the DOP for the documentary “ SAMADHI” on Yoga by Shri John .. at FTII, Pune, 1975-6. Won the Golden Peacock at the Delhi film festival.
- Served as the DOP for the bw 35mm Diploma by
Shri Surinder Chy at FTII, Pune,1977.
- Served as the DOP for the celebrated film “ SURJA DIGHAL BARHI “ ( La Maison Tragique ) by Sheikh Niamat Ali &
Masihuddin Shaker in Bangladesh,1978. Won six international awards in Europe & 13 National awards in Bangladesh.
- “ EMILER GOYENDA BAHINI” ( Emil & the Detectives ) by Badal
Rahman , Bangladesh , 1979. Won multiple Bangladesh National Awards.
- Served as the DOP for two feature films by Sheikh Niamat Ali “ DAHAN” ( Affliction ) bw & “ ANYA JEEBAN”
( Another Life ) colour; in the 1980s. Both films won multiple National Awards in Bangladesh.
- Served as the DOP for the bw feature film “PURASHKAR” by Mr.Zaman. Won the best cinematographer
award. Around 1990.
- Served as the Cinematographer for the colour feature film “ SHYAMAL CHHAYA” directed by celebrated Humayun Ahmed. Won multiple cine-awards. Late 2010s.
DOP in the acclaimed short-feature “ CHAKA” ( The Wheel) by Morshedul Islam. Won multiple National+ Intenational awards. Mid 1990s.
DOCUMENTARIES & SHORTS :
on two film-documentaries of RDRS-LWF + USC Canada in northern Bangladesh around 1980.
- Served as a DOP in the Documentary “ Bangladesh Population” by UN-NHK and “ FERDOUSI”
directed by Abdullah al Mamun., late 1990s.
- Served as a DOP in a Documentary “ Bangladesh TEA” directed by Mamunur Rashid, late 1990s.
Filmed in 35mm colour, a series of 8 POPULATION motivational shorts for SMPC & a N.Y. based production house; late 1990s.
- Served as DOP for a short feature in 16mm film “ RICKSHAWALA”,
directed by Ruhul Amin of UK unde the BBC South program. Around 2000.
- Served as DOP for a short feature in video “ FLOODS”, directed by Ruhul Amin of UK unde the DISCOVERY Channel program.
- Served as DOP for two short features in video “ Bangladesh 1971”, directed by Sarwar Jahan Khan & Sarwar Tamizuddin unde the Bangladesh Govt. program. Around 2013.
Anwar Hossain : 46, Rue de Paris , 93260 Les Lilas, France
FR : +33 9500 55920 +33 752 393979/ BGD : + 88 01613 955 122
/ firstname.lastname@example.org / anwarpix.fr