Born in Dhaka in 1948. Photographer, cinematographer,FTII,Pune’77 and architect,BUET’74. Resident of France since 1997. Photographing since 1967. Cinematographer since 1977.
Presently serving as a Media-teacher& as DOP in major Cine/ Video Projects in Bangladesh.
- SSC from Armanitola Govt.high school,
Dhaka, 1965 / HSC from Notre Dame college,Dhaka 1968 / Bachelor of Architecture, BUET, Dhaka in 1974 / Diploma in Cinematography, DCMPP, FTII, Film & Television Institute of India, Pune, 1977 with distinctions.
Awards in Photography:
– Won about 60 international awards in photography since 1970.
– More than 100 international Salon acceptance in about 25 countries since 1974.
Distinctions, Jurys & Seminars:
– The Sole
Judge in the Commonwealth photography exhibition & film festival, Cyprus, 1980.
– Awarded Associateships of FIAP, Belgium, 1991; IIPC, Delhi, 1991 & RPS, UK, 1989.
– Served as a jury member in the CROUS French National Photo
Contest, 1999 & 1997; 18th international festival of Village Films, Saint-Flour, France, 1996.
– “Photography in the Third World”, speech at 20th FIAP congress, Brussels, August 1989; VPI & SU,
Virginia, USA, September 1989; IIPC conference, Calcutta, 1991.
– Principal speaker in the Images seminar, Commonwealth institute, London, March 1987.
- Served as he Principal
Jury in numerous Photographic Manifestations in Bangladesh including the “ Daily Star”, ‘Brac’, ‘3rd Eye International Salon’ etc. over the last decade.
Awards in Cinematography:
– Won 15 Bangladesh national & cine journalists' awards for film cinematography since 1979.
– Served as the director of cinematography for 15 feature films & about 30 documentaries since 1977 which won: Feature film awards
include the Mahhheim ducat, 1995 & 1980; Dunkerque festival, 1995; George-&-Ruta-Sadoul, Paris, 1995; Karlovy Vary; Netherlands; Portugal; Korea; Hawaï; etc.
-Documentaries awards include Media Excellence award, Beijing, 1985;
National award, Delhi, 1978; official selections at Ethnographic film festival, Paris, 1999, etc.
– Directed, photographed & edited two documentary films in Bangladesh, 1986-1988, including one for ‘Concern’, Ireland. Filmed till
2012 about 15+ feature films & 30+documentaries plus numerous motivational and advertising shorts in cine plus prof.video.
– Numerous solo photographic exhibitions including:
Avicenne,Paris,France,2008 ;GRID,Amsterdam,2006 ;Mairiedes Lilas,France,2005; Maison de l’Inde, Paris, 2005; galerie Laleh, Tehran, 2001; Alliances françaises, Bangladesh, 1995-2016; Galerie Bernanos,
Paris, 1996; Bordeaux & Nantes, France, 1991; National Museum & Art academies in Bangladesh, 1972-1994; USA, 1989; Fotogalerie 68, The Netherlands, 1984; Delhi, 1978, Pune, India 1977, 1976
of eight major photo books: Pocket books: Sonar Bangla & Banglar Prem 2010. Portrait de vie pour le futur, France, 2007; A Ballad of Bangladesh, A Voyage Through Bangladesh, Dhaka portrait,
Woman & A Journey Through Bangladesh, 1988-2001;
- Monograph: Anwar Hossain, by National Shilpakala academy, Dhaka, 1978. The Bangladesh Image, Dhaka, 1980.
- The Bangladesh Image by Hotel Inter-Continental,Dhaka,1980.
- Edited the BPS Newsletter, Picture Editor for the weeklies
“Dialogue”,”Sanglap” & “Satdin”. 1980-90. Dhaka.
- Received an Asian Foundation
Fellowship in Journalism in Malaysia,mid 1980s.
- Honoured with two consecutive fellowships in Art at Rumania in 2005-6.
Lifetime Achievement Awards :
For cinema by the Rajshahi University of Bangladesh & the ICCR of India, 2014.
- “ 8th Chobi Mela” / Drik by the honourable President of Bangladesh, 2015. Dhaka.
For Cinema+ Photography : ‘ Daily Star’- Standard Chartered “ Celebrating Life’ in 2013.Dhaka.
- by 3rd Eye Photographic Society,2016 / BPS, Bangladesh Photographic
Society,2013 & NSU, North South University, Dhaka,2010.
-Major teachings & seminars abroad since 1978 include colleges & universities in London,UK & Alexandria,Washington,US. Seminars & keynote speeches
in UK, Brussels, Netherlands, Delhi, Calcutta, Cyprus, Paris, Rome etc.
-Major Photographic,Cinematographic & Videographic teachings since 1977 include :
Bangladesh National film Archives, NIMCO, PID, DU, JU, BUET, Shilpakala Academies,
Alliance Francaises, Federation of Film Societies, Moviyana Film Society, North-South University, Bangladesh Film Institute; Bogra, Mymensingh, Sylhet & Chittagong photographic societies; TTL-Bangladesh, Lighthouse, Dhaka Art Center, Soviet Cultural Centre,Rong,
AIUB, ULAB,Dhaka etc.
-Major photographic,cinematographic & videography assignments since 1974 include :
-Architectural assignments for :
--Vice-president of Bangladesh federation of film societies, 1989-1993; Secretary general of Bangladesh federation of photography, 1987-1993;
– Stringer photographer for Camera press ltd. of England 1981-1993
– Collections include Musée européen de la photographie, Paris, 1993; Shilpakala Academy & the National Museum of Bangladesh, 1978 & 1972 etc.
- National archives in Canada, Museums in Czekoslovakia, Romania etc.
Anwar Hossain : 46, Rue de Paris , 93260 Les Lilas, France
FR : +33 9500 55920 +33 752 393979
/ BGD : + 88 01613 955 122
email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org / anwarpix.fr